Monday, December 18, 2006

Subway Sect: "Nobody's Scared b/w "Don't Split It" 45

I'll be the first to admit that V. Godard's flung some real dogshit on the music-buying public, but I'll be doubly damned if this single isn't one of the best UK punk artifacts in existence. The production here's mind-blowing, particularly the guitar -- rakish, trebly strumming that really sticks in the ear, and as Godard's wail floats and echoes on top of those chords, it's just too much. On "Don't Split It," my favorite SS tune, the band scoots dangerously close to the UK DIY sound as performed by someone like the Homosexuals, 'cept way better, because we all know that the Homosexuals aren't really even that good. They definitely aren't this good. But who is? Not many.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah! On a bit of a Subway Sect kick myself. Found a copy of "A Retrospective" on vinyl awhile ago, which I never thought would happen, which has these 2 gems with 3 other ass kickers (Chain Smoking makes me wanna do just thought and then go fucking nuts). The album flows chronologically though so I bought this for the A Side really, the B Side is un-fucking-listenable.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home